checklist for landlords



Informing on time your mortgage lender that you wish to let your property

  • If you are a lease holder informing the head lessor on your property that you wish to let your property
  • Arranging with your insurance company rental loss & legal expenses cover
  • Understanding your legal obligations in accordance with the latest regulations - e.g. Tenancy Deposit scheme
  • To comply with the safety regulations - Gas Safety, Electrical and Furnishings
  • Finding a qualified engineer to carry out a Portable Appliance Test (PAT) to assess the safety of all electrical appliances
  • Arranging for an EPC certificate
  • Supplying furnishings as agreed with the tenants
  • Organising the necessary number of keys for the tenants or letting agent
  • Preparing the property and leaving in a cleaning and tidy conditions
  • Providing copies of instructions and manuals on Boiler and appliances, bin location etc
  • Providing an inventory. Your letting agent can refer to an inventory service provider
  • Providing a printing leaflet/information/guide on: How to rent, a checklist for renting in England
  • Providing printing of EPC & Gas Safe certificates
  • Arranging to redirecting your post/mail
  • Arranging the transfer of utilities and council tax to the tenants
  • Understanding your obligations as a landlord under the AST
  • To register with the Tenancy Deposit Scheme
  • Informing your accountant to deal with tax on letting income which you will receive from the tenants. If you are based oversees your managing/letting agent is obliged by HMRC to deduct tax at source from the rental income


If you are renting out your property to sharers you may need a license - A licence for a building in 'multi-occupation'
Do you rent out a building that possesses three or more storeys, including habitable cellars, basements and loft conversions, and is occupied by five or more tenants, forming two or more households who share facilities such as toilets, bathrooms and kitchens?
If you do, please contact the private sector housing team as you may need to apply for an 'House in Multi-occupation' (HMO) licence.

Communities & Local Government: HMO guide for Landlords
Gas Safety
If you supply a gas appliance to your property e.g. cooker, fire or gas boiler, you are required to carry out an annual gas safety check and provide your tenant with a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate.
Health & Safety Executive: Gas Safety – Frequently Asked Questions

Electrical Safety
It is recommended that if a property is rented, an electrical safety check is carried out every 5 years. By identifying potential risks and subsequently reducing the hazard to an acceptable level you are meeting your legal duty, ensuring your tenants are safe and also protecting your property.
Electrical Safety Council: A Guide for Landlords

Fire Safety
Advice and tips to help prevent fire in the home. Any residential premises should provide a safe and healthy environment for any potential occupier or visitor. A dwelling should therefore be designed, constructed and maintained with non-hazardous materials and should be free from unnecessary and avoidable hazards.
Directgov: Fire Safety in the Home
Directgov: Fire Kills Website
Directgov: Fire safety for people in rented or shared accommodation (pdf)

The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1998
If the landlord supplies furniture and furnishings in a property they must meet the levels of fire resistance set out within the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1998, however, it is worth noting that these regulations do not apply to carpets, curtains or duvets.
Furniture Flammability Regulations Fact Sheet

Housing standards in rented accommodation
If you rent your home, major repairs are generally the responsibility of the landlord. This includes repairs to the structure and exterior of the property, heating and hot water installations, basins, sinks, baths and other sanitary installations.
Directgov: Housing standards in rented accommodation
An Energy Performance Certificate is generally required for all New Lettings after October 2008. Find out where to get an EPC, when you should receive one and when you should provide one. Also, find out about energy assessors who produce EPCs, and what to do if you are not happy with their work.
Directgov: A guide to energy performance certificates
Communities & Local Government: EPCs - A guide for landlords
Communities & Local Government: EPCs - A guide for building owners, landlords and tenants

Tenancy Deposit Schemes
From April 2007, all deposits (for rents up to £25,000 per annum) taken by landlords and letting agents for Assured Shorthold Tenancies, must be protected by a tenancy deposit protection scheme.
Directgov: Tenancy Deposit Protection
Communities & Local Government: Tenancy Deposit Protection

Further Information and resources

Letting your property : Directgov: A guide to letting your property